Free tax service available at Aims Community College in Greeley and Fort LuptonSubmitted on: 01-14-2014
Taxpayers who earn less than $50,000 can get help preparing and e-filing their taxes for free at Aims Community College through Tax Help Colorado, a program funded by a grant from the Denver-based Piton Foundation, operating at 18 colleges statewide.
Aims has helped more than 5,000 Weld County tax payers claim more than $6 million in federal and state refunds in the past six years through the program. More than 30% of Colorado families are eligible to participate in the program, which was created to help alleviate the financial burden of tax preparation on families that are striving to achieve financial stability.
Many of these families are also eligible for valuable tax benefits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit, and the preparers at Aims sites specialize in ensuring that taxpayers receive the refunds they deserve. Students from Aims and the University of Northern Colorado, as well as community volunteers, will be helping with tax preparation this year.
Interested parties should bring the following documents:
- All W-2, 1099 and other income-related documents
- Proof of mortgage interest, property taxes, daycare payments, college education expenses, charitable contributions and all other tax-deductible expenses
- For college expenses: In addition to Form 1098T from your college, you must bring your own records or expenses paid for tuition, books, fees and supplies
- Social Security cards for all family members (photo ID is required)
- A copy of last year’s tax return, if available
- Bank account number and routing number to direct deposit refunds (direct deposit refunds will be received in 10 to 14 days)
- If you’re eligible for the Colorado Rent-Heat Rebate, bring 2013 rent receipts and heating bills
Tax Help Colorado will be operating at Aims Community College on the following dates:
- Greeley campus (Westview 112): Fridays, Jan. 31 through April 11 (except for March 7 and 14), 1 to 7 p.m. and Tuesdays, Feb. 4 through Feb. 25, 4 to 7 p.m.
- Fort Lupton campus (room 111): Saturdays, Feb. 15, Feb. 22 and March 1, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For more information, call the Colorado Information Line at 211 or visit www.piton.org/TaxHelpColorado.
Main News Page