College & Community Relations
Free tax service available at Aims Community College in Greeley and Fort LuptonSubmitted on: 01-03-2013
Taxpayers who earn less than $49,000 can get help preparing and e-filing their taxes for free at Aims Community College through Tax Help Colorado, a program funded by a grant from the Denver-based Piton Foundation, operating at 16 colleges statewide.
Aims has helped more than 2,000 Weld County tax payers claim more than $3 million in federal and state refunds in the past four years through the program. Students from Aims and the University of Northern Colorado, as well as community volunteers, will be helping with tax preparation this year.
“Tax Help Colorado has been a tremendous success and is an extremely rewarding experience,” said Aims Accounting Professor Gina Jones. “Our volunteer tax preparers and quality reviewers are well-trained individuals who are dedicated to superior customer service and producing a quality product. This is also a tremendous benefit to our local businesses as the refund dollars are spent in our communities. I am looking forward to another successful year.”
Interested parties should bring the following documents:
- All W-2, 1099 and other income-related documents
- Proof of mortgage interest, property taxes, daycare payments, college education expenses, charitable contributions and all other tax-deductible expenses
- Social Security cards for all family members
- A copy of last year’s tax return, if available
- Bank account number and routing number to direct deposit refunds (direct deposit refunds will be received in 7 to 10 days)
Tax Help Colorado will be operating at Aims Community College on the following dates:
- Greeley campus (Westview 114): Fridays, Feb. 1 through April 12 (except for March 8 and 15), 1 to 7 p.m. and Wednesdays, Feb. 6 through Feb. 27, 4 to 7 p.m.
- Fort Lupton campus (room 111): Saturdays, Feb. 9, Feb. 16 and Feb. 23, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For more information, call the Colorado Information Line at 211 or visit www.piton.org/TaxHelpColorado.
Main News Page