Emergency Medical Services
EMS Department Office:
See the contact page
for information on who
to contact for each
EKG Technician Certificate
EKG technicians work in hospitals, cardiac rehabilitation facilities, physician's offices and sports medicine facilities. The internship is 60 hours in length and includes observation at a cardiac rehabilitation center as well as the cardiac catheterization lab. This certificate is a great addition to the EMT Basic Certificate, Medical Assisting or Phlebotomy Certificate and is strongly recommended for students planning to further their career as a Paramedic.
Students must register for:
- HPR 190 (Basic EKG) 2 credits
- HPR 200 (Advanced ECG Interpretation) 2 credits
- Note: EMS 231 Paramedic Cardiology (5 credits) can be taken in place of HPR 190 and 200.
- HPR 180 (EKG Internship) 2 credits
If you are interested in taking the EKG Technician Program, please review the following pages for instructions on mandatory prerequisite requirements and registration information.
- Assessment Scores
- CPR Certification
- Background Check and UA
- Release of Confidential Information and Previous Expulsion Notice
- Program Prerequisite Due Dates
- Registration Information
Check out the essential skills guide which is a list of commonly encountered qualities and skills typically necessary to be successful in a particular program or area of interest.