Emergency Medical Services
EMS Department Office:
See the contact page
for information on who
to contact for each
Emergency Medical Technician
The EMT program is a rigorous 12-credit program consisting of five classes, each comprised of both lecture and lab components, as well as a clinical portion. This program can be completed over one or two consecutive semesters. You may also be required to complete service learning hours. Classes are typically offered on both the Greeley and Loveland campuses. Must be 18 years of age or permission of a department advisor.
- Textbooks ISBN-10 0133517942 ISBN-13 9780133517941)
Textbook Discount Code
- EMT Kit (box of gloves [latex free], stethoscope, pocket mask, eyewear, fingerprint card)
- Uniform (navy blue EMT pants, white polo shirt, black or brown work boots)
Supplies for the EMT class can be purchased at the Aims bookstore, medical stores, or various department/discount stores throughout the area. Contact an EMS faculty member if you need ideas about where to shop.
To become a Colorado certified EMT (required to practice as an EMT) you must complete the following steps:
- Successfully complete all EMS courses in the EMT Basic program (121, 122, 123, 124, 170)
- Apply for and pass the EMT National Registry written and practical exams. Each National Registry exam costs $70 and is not included in your tuition or course fees.
- Apply for Colorado State EMT certification through the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. Additional costs range from $17.50 to $39.50.
The classes that you must register for are:
- EMS 121: EMT Fundamentals - 3 credits
- EMS 122: EMT Medical Emergencies - 4 credits
- EMS 123: EMT Trauma Emergencies - 2 credits
- EMS 124: EMT Special Considerations - 2 credits
- EMS 170 (clinical) - 1 credit
EMS 121 must be completed before or with all other courses. Failure of EMS 121 will result in administrative withdrawal. All five courses EMS 121-124 and EMS 170 for the EMT program must be completed over one semester.
For more information please call (970) 339-6582.
If you are interested in taking the EMT Program, please review the following pages for instructions on mandatory prerequisite requirements and registration information.
- Assessment Scores
- CPR Certification
- Background Check and UA
- Release of Confidential Information and Previous Expulsion Notice
- Program Prerequisite Due Dates
- Registration Information