You are strongly encouraged to prepare for the Accuplacer, so that the exam correctly
reflects your placement in reading comprehension, mathematics and English.
There are a number of ways to prepare for the Accuplacer Placement Exam:
- Hard copies of the Accuplacer study guides and practice tests can be found in the
assessment area at each campus.
- Visit the Accuplacer Study Guides for additional study guides and practices tests.
- Do a Google or Yahoo search. Type in Accuplacer Practice.
Tips for taking the Accuplacer Placement Exam:
- Come to your test session prepared…and relaxed. Please keep in mind that this particular
placement exam was designed to help you succeed in your courses. The score or scores
you obtain from the Accuplacer will help you and your advisor determine which classes
are most appropriate for your present level of skills.
- As we recommend with all of our testing services, get plenty of rest and eat properly
before taking the Accuplacer. This will help you concentrate better on your test(s).
- Read all on-screen instructions and directions carefully.
- As an adaptive test, Accuplacer questions are selected for you based upon your answers
to previous questions. Thus, you must answer every question. You will not be allowed
to skip a question or go back to a previous one. When you have difficulty answering
a question, try to eliminate one or more of the choices. Then, pick one of the remaining
- Testing Rules and Regulations
- Notebooks, textbooks, cell phones, calculators and dictionaries are not permitted
in the assessment room. Scratch paper for the math will be provided by the Testing
- Any student who gives or receives help during the test or uses a cell phone, calculator,
notes or books will not be allowed to continue the test.
- Following your test session, no assessment material or notes can be removed from the
- Your Accuplacer scores and any other information you provide will be used by Aims
Community College for advising and placement purposes. It may also be used by Aims
and the College Board for research purposes.
- The Accuplacer placement test consists of the following exams:
- Reading Comprehension
- Sentence Skills
- Elementary Algebra
- College-Level Math