Main Content Area

Financial Aid

Veterans Benefits FAQ

This page answers commonly-asked questions about benefits for veterans at Aims. Click on the links below to view the questions and answers for other financial-aid-related topics.

Fill out an application for GI Bill® education benefits on your computer and submit it electronically. This is the fastest and most secure way to apply for benefits.  If you are unable to apply online you may:

  • Contact the Office of Financial Aid to speak with a School Certifying Official, or
  • Have an application sent to you by calling 1-888-442-4551 or by contacting the Office of Financial Aid.

Once your school submits your enrollment information, it must be entered into the system by VA. Aims processes all enrollments received from VA in the order of date received.

If you are receiving VA Education benefits you must also verify your enrollment at the end of each month in order to receive your monthly housing allowance for that month. Benefits are paid after each month of school is completed. You should receive payment within two weeks of verifying your enrollment at the end of the month (or within one week if using direct deposit). If you don't receive payment in this timeframe, please contact your VA School Certifying Official.

If you're receiving the Active Duty or Reserve GI Bill use the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call our toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378 to verify your attendance.

If you decrease your enrollment (i.e. drop classes, leave school, etc.) and the VA has already processed a payment for tuition and fees, an overpayment will occur. When the School Certifying Official (SCO) notifies the VA of a change, a debt is created against your account. The school will issue any refunds in accordance with internal policy, which may not fully cover the debt with the VA. If the amount refunded by the school does not satisfy the debt, you are responsible for the remainder.

  • If the school refunds money directly to the VA, the VA will credit your account any amount the school refunds.
  • If the school refunds money directly to you, you must clear the debt with the VA.

A decrease in your credit hours could also result in changes to your housing allowance and books and supplies stipend. If the VA has already issued you a payment for the term, a debt will be created on your account.

You are responsible for keeping track of your tuition and fee account balance and payments. Visit the Aims Cashier's office regularly to review your account, ensure the charges are correct and that payments and refunds are processed correctly. Contact your SCO to ensure the certification information that's sent to the VA matches your schedule. 

If you receive a debt notification from the VA, please contact the Debt Management Center at (800) 827-0648 or email them at The Debt Management Center is the authoritative source of debt collection information. 

If you fail a class you will receive a failing grade for that class. A failing grade does not count as earned credit, but it is used to determine a student’s progress toward graduation requirements. This means that the grade you receive counts in your overall degree progress, albeit negatively. Because this grade counts toward your graduation progress, you are not required to repay any GI Bill money you received for that class. You may take the class again in an attempt to receive credit toward graduation.  You may receive GI Bill payment for the retaking of the class.

Direct deposit is available for VA Education Benefits. To enroll in direct deposit, please do one of the following:

  • Log in to WAVE (or create an account if you are a new user). On the WAVE Main page, click on the link that says Direct Deposit Enrollment Form. This form can be submitted electronically, or you can print out a hard copy and mail it to your local Regional Processing Office. Unfortunately WAVE is not yet available for Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients.
  • Call us at 1-888-442-4551
  • Complete a paper application for direct deposit. The form should be mailed to your local Regional Processing Office.

If you are new to WAVE and your enrollment has not yet been processed, you may not be able to create a WAVE account. You will gain access once your enrollment has been processed.

If you are currently receiving VA Education benefits or have received these benefits in the last year, please contact the VA Education Center at 1-888-442-4551.

You are entitled to GI Bill benefits through the date you dropped out of school.

  • If you were called up under Title 10 (federal authority), VA will restore the entitlement you were charged for the period that you received benefits. For example, if you were in school one month and had to drop out, you keep the money for that period and VA will add back a month to your entitlement for you to use at a later time.
  • If you were called up under Title 32 (state authority), you don't receive the entitlement restoration benefit.
  • If you have been overpaid education benefits, VA will not pursue collection action while you are deployed to a combat area.

If you change your course load/training time (for example, go from being a full-time student to a three-quarter time student), you must contact the School Certifying Official at Aims Community College. The official will send documentation to VA to adjust your benefits. 


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U. S. Government website.