Registration & Records

In-State Tuition

In-state tuition classification status requires students to prove domicile (legal, primary residence) in Colorado for 12 months before the beginning of the term in which you plan to attend. During this time, you must take all actions that would be expected of any persons who make Colorado their permanent home. These actions include separating from your former state of residence and creating ties to Colorado by filing Colorado state income tax as a resident, working in Colorado and obtaining a Colorado driver’s license or ID, vehicle registration, and voter registration.

Students younger than age 23 (un-emancipated minors) are eligible for in-state tuition if a parent or court-appointed legal guardian has been domiciled in Colorado for a minimum of one year. Documentation proving court-appointed guardianship is required.

Although people who have lived in Colorado only a short time are considered state residents for voting and other legal purposes, they are not classified as in-state for tuition purposes until they can prove domicile in Colorado.

Changes to tuition classification will not occur after the first 15 percent of the semester (the drop deadline for full-term courses).

In-District Tuition Rate

Students who live in the Aims Tax District (most, but not all, of Weld County) may qualify for the in-district tuition rate. This rate is lower than the in-state tuition rate.  Students who move into the Aims Tax District may request the tuition discount by filling out an Information Change Form and submitting it to the Registration & Records Office with appropriate documentation by the first day of the term. Requests for a change in tuition classification will not be accepted after the full-term drop deadline for the semester in which the change has been requested. 


Domicile is defined as your true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation. Domicile is a legal characteristic that everyone has, and you can have only one domicile at any one time. Your domicile is your legal, primary residence. You must be a qualified person to establish domicile in Colorado.

A qualified person is defined as:

  • An adult who is at least 23 years old, or
  • Married (you must be married for one year if you are younger than 23), or
  • An emancipated minor, or
  • A graduate student

Losing Your In-State Tuition Classification

Your in-state eligibility will be lost if you or your parents (depending on your age and parental support) maintain domicile outside Colorado for one year.

You may leave the state for vacations or for other temporary reasons and need not maintain a residence in Colorado during a temporary absence. To maintain Colorado domicile during a temporary absence, you should keep Colorado connections, particularly voter registration and declaration of any out-of-state income on your Colorado state income tax return.

On any other state tax return, you must file as a nonresident. However, residing in your previous home state for a substantial period of time (including summer) is some evidence of continued domicile in that place, although such residence does not by itself disqualify you for in-state status.

If you have further questions, please visit the Tuition Classification FAQ page.