Distance & Online
Some distance courses require proctored exams. Instructors should indicate this requirement
via the course catalog, course syllabus, an Aims Online announcement or an email.
Not all courses require proctored exams.
What is a proctor and why do I need one? If you cannot take an exam at an Aims campus, it may be possible to arrange for a
testing proctor. A proctor is a person that will supervise you while taking an exam.
Proctors are used to ensure academic integrity during the exam. It is your responsibility
to find, and schedule with a proctor, to take an exam. Be sure that you make arrangements in
advance of your first exam date.
For Aims Community College students who cannot take an exam at an Aims campus:
- Off-campus testing must be approved by your instructor and the Testing Center.
- Arrangements must be made at least one week before the exam is to be taken, so requirements
and materials may be sent.
- The proctor must be able to scan the exam and return it by email.
- When selecting a proctor, please consider the following (it is preferred that you
use the same proctor for the entire semester);
- Official testing service of a regionally accredited university or college
- Certified college Instructor
- School guidance counselor
- Principal of an educational institution, either public or private
- Law enforcement officer
- Official learning or tutoring center
The following will NOT be accepted: fellow students, co-workers and family members
NOTE: Some institutions may charge a fee for this service. The student is responsible for
any cost incurred for testing.
Please use the following steps to make testing arrangements:
- Locate a proctor that meets one of the requirements listed above.
- Have the proctor complete the Off Campus Proctor Form and submit it.
- The Testing Center staff will contact the proposed proctor, within 24 hours of receipt
of the Off Campus Proctor Form, to verify the proctor’s information. Once approved,
testing information will be sent.
- It is recommended that you contact your proctor, prior to arriving to test, to verify
receipt of your exam materials.
- Alternative Proctoring Option (Off-site) The Aims Testing Center is not responsible, nor available, to support students using
this online proctoring option within any course in the Aims Online (D2L) environment. This proctoring option is only available if your instructor has set up the program
to be used with the associated course exams or quizzes. Contact your instructor directly
if to see if this is an option.
What to Expect at the Time of Testing
- A proctoring fee charged by the institution/facility.
- The proctor will ask for a valid photo ID to verify your identify.
- The proctor will time the test if a timer is not automatically activated inside the
- Review any special instructions or requirements for the test. Student may want to
contact the instructor prior to review instructions and/or requirements for testing.
If you have any questions, please contact the Aims Testing Center, Greeley Campus, at
(970) 339-6533 or email email@example.com.