Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
The job of a firefighter is physically demanding and requires a unique set of skills. The Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) runs you through firefighter scenarios, and upon successful completion, meets the certification requirement for many fire departments throughout the country.
This test is made up of eight continuous events designed to test your strength and endurance. Each event is based on physical activities commonly found while working in the fire service.
Aims offers CPAT testing in cooperation with fire departments across the nation. Aims has a Limited CPAT License through the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF). Aims offers numerous CPAT testing dates throughout the year.
The state-of-the-art indoor training center, and CPAT course, are located at the Aims Public Safety Institute on the Windsor campus. CPAT Candidates have the chance to attend two orientation sessions and perform two timed practice sessions using actual CPAT equipment to complete the entire course. Upon successful completion on a test date, candidates get a certificate of completion valid for one year.
Aims Fire Academy CPAT Requirements & Resources
To take the CPAT, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a government-issued photo ID
- Wear pants and closed-toe shoes
Aims Fire Academy CPAT Fees
- $115 - Two orientation sessions and the official CPAT test
- $10 - Each practice session, with a minimum of two sessions offered per training
- All fees must be paid when you schedule your CPAT event to secure your spot.
- Most major credit cards are accepted. No cash or checks.
- All fees are non-refundable and Aims will not reschedule any dates if you fail to attend. Failure to attend your scheduled time for the CPAT practices and/or the official test will result in a forfeiture of those respective fees.
- If you are experiencing financial hardships that prevent you from testing, please contact the CPAT Coordinator to discuss options.
|||Process 126||Process 127||Process 128|
To view your scheduled appointments: Click on "Register for CPAT at Aims" above. Enter your login and password at the top right corner, once logged in you will see your Appointment Activity listed with the date and time of each appointment. Click on the appointment to see the details (Process Number and either Orientation, Practice, or Test).
While not mandatory, it’s highly encouraged to attend both CPAT orientations and timed practice sessions. However, if you choose not to participate in the orientation or practice sessions, you’ll have to sign a waiver prior to testing acknowledging that you are voluntarily and knowingly waiving your right to participate.
CPAT Orientation Sessions
During each CPAT orientation session, you’ll receive a copy of the CPAT Candidate Preparation and Orientation Guide and get a chance to view the CPAT orientation video.
You’ll also work with a peer fitness trainer who will give you an overview of the CPAT test and familiarize you with each task and apparatus used in the test. Your fitness trainer will advise you about specific conditioning regimens and techniques to help you prepare for the physical challenges of the CPAT.
Last but not least, you’ll be able to see CPAT instructors demonstrate each of the eight events by a CPAT instructor and get a chance to try each event.
CPAT Timed Practice Sessions
Two timed practice sessions will be offered within 30 days of the official CPAT experience.
During each timed practice run, you’ll get:
- Another opportunity to view the CPAT orientation video
- A timed practice run that will allow you to assess your level of CPAT preparedness
- Advice from CPAT instructors and proctors on how to improve performance and conditioning
What you need to take the CPAT:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Plan to arrive 20 minutes before your assigned time and expect testing to last about two hours
- Appropriate attire:
- Long pants
- Footwear with no open heel or toe
- Watches or restrictive jewelry are not permitted
- No spectators will be allowed past the registration table. Please do not bring family members, friends, children or pets.
- Hydrate before you arrive at any of the processes and especially on the final test date. Water will be available on site.
- Please print, complete and bring the visitor parking permit with you.
This is NOT a CPAT Test. This is a physical check-off for candidates that wish to enroll in next semester's Aims Fire Academy. Upon successful completion, candidates will be allowed to enroll in the upcoming fire academy. However, no CPAT certification will be issued.