Turn your people skills and desire to help others into a fulfilling career in the medical field. Earn an allied health degree at Aims and get a job working in a variety of settings in a medical office, clinic or hospital. Allied health professionals can pursue a variety of career paths to offer quality patient care. These include:
- Medical clinical assistant - Check blood pressure and vital signs and run basic medical tests
- Medical front office assistant - Schedule patient appointments, process insurance and maintain patient files
- Nurse aide - Help patients with activities of daily living
- Phlebotomist - Draw blood and other fluids for medical testing
- Sterile processing technician - Ensure equipment and instrumentation for surgeries are sterilized and in proper repair
Along with doctors, nurses, pharmacists and dentists, allied health professionals play a vital role in the medical field. According to Explore Health Careers, allied health professionals represent more than 60% of all healthcare providers.
Learn about common diseases and conditions, study medical terminology and learn how to develop a friendly and professional demeanor with patients. Gain practice in conducting a variety of basic medical tests performed in a doctor’s office. Plus, learn how to perform many of the front office functions at a medical practice such as processing health insurance and financial information.
Choose one of these allied health professional careers and the coursework will give you the hands-on training you need to get a job in the medical field. The Aims allied health degree program partners with the following regulatory and certifying organizations:
- Colorado Department of Regulatory agencies (DORA)
- Healthcare Sterile Processing Association (HSPA)
- National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
Using skills assessments and practice tests, you can prepare for national accreditation testing and become a certified allied health professional. After graduation you can sit for exams and become a certified medical clinical assistant, phlebotomy technician, sterile processing technician or nurse aide.