Main Content Area

Registration and Records


Tuition Classification is regulated by Colorado state law (Title 23, Article 7, of the Colorado Revised Statues) and by judicial decision that apply to all public institutions of higher learning in Colorado. These statues are subject to change at any time and the college does not have the discretion to make exceptions to the regulation except as prescribed by state law. For additional information regarding residency, please visit the Colorado Department of Higher Education.   

Tuition Classification is a process that defines a student's residency status which affects what rate a student will pay during their journey through Aims Community College. Residency status can change from one semester to another upon request and with the submission of necessary forms and documentation. Students have the option to be classified as any of the following statuses: In-District, In-State, Western Undergrad Exchange (W.U.E.), or Out-of-State.

Residency status for students under 23 years old will be based off of parent or legal guardian information. Residency for students who are 23 years of age or older (or who are under 23 years old, but have been married for a full year or who are under 23 and have been legally emancipated) will be based off of the student's information.

In general, to be awarded In-State residency, the qualifying individual (either student or parent/legal guardian) must be physically present in the the state of Colorado for 365 days before the first day of the student's classes and must have taken steps to make Colorado their permanent home (i.e. made ties to the state such as getting a driver’s license, filing Colorado state taxes, etc.). 

In addition, students who live in the Aims tax district may qualify for the In-District residency type as well.

Note that residency statuses cannot be changed retroactively and all residency changes for a specific term must be completed prior to that term beginning. If you are unable to provide needed residency information, you may be coded as an Out-of-State residency status and will pay Out-of-State rates until the required forms and/or documentation have been submitted to the Registration & Records office.

Initial Classification occurs at the time that the student is admitted (or in the term that a student is re-admitted) to Aims Community College and is determined based on the information that the student reports in their Application for Admission.  Failure to answer all questions could lead to initial classification as "pending" and, if no additional (or if insufficient) information is submitted, then classification would default to "Non-Resident" and the student will be responsible for paying Non-Resident rates until the necessary documentation and/or forms have been submitted. After the student's residency status is determined (changed from "Student Action Required" to any other status), it will remain unchanged unless a change is requested and supporting documentation provided.

If a student feels that their initial classification is incorrect and they have not yet begun classes in their first semester (or first semester back) or if a student was set in a "Student Action Required" residency status, they may update their residency information by requesting the change through your student Workday Account by submitting a STUDENT RESIDENCY: Tuition Classification Addendum request. (Note that there are other residency requests that you may submit regarding certain exemptions to classification. To view all options, please log into your Workday account.) If the student is not sure which request is right for them, please contact the Registration team at

A Petition for In-State Tuition Classification form is used for students who's residency status has been determined as either Out-of-State or W.U.E. (not "pending") and who believes they meet the qualifications of In-State residency status. This form can be submitted for review to the Registration team up to 90 prior to the start date of the term that the student is petitioning for a change in.

In-State residency status is based off of the "qualified person" either the student or the parent or legal guardian of a student and requires that the qualified person prove domicile (legal, primary residence) in Colorado for 12 months prior to the term that the student plans to attend. (See below for more information about qualified persons.)

Per Colorado Law, changes to residency status for a term in question must be made prior to the student's earliest course start date in that term. Changes requested after that date will be denied or individually reviewed to see if extenuating circumstances applied. 


Students who live in the Aims tax district (most, but not all, of Weld County) may qualify for the In-District tuition rate which is lower than the In-State tuition rate.  Students who move into the Aims Tax District may request the tuition discount by filling out an In-District Tuition Classification request form. Changes will be subject to posted deadlines. 

Students can establish domicile in Colorado only when they (or their qualified person, if applicable) are residing in Colorado with the present intention to reside permanently in the state. Evidence of Colorado domicile includes actions that in the circumstances would normally be expected of, or that would be characteristic of, any permanent resident. Qualified persons are expected to take appropriate action on all factors relevant in their circumstances.

Pursuant to Colorado law, the Tuition Classification Officer considers a variety of evidence, and any additional relevant information, when evaluating requests for in-state tuition. No single factor or combination of these factors may be considered conclusive evidence of domicile.

The following may be considered as evidence of Colorado domicile:

  • Physical Presence in the state of Colorado. 
    • 365 days are required (with few exceptions for short leaves of absence).
  • Payment of Colorado state income tax
  • Colorado driver's license.
    • If you have a driver's license from another state, you must apply for a Colorado driver's license. If you do not drive, you may obtain a Colorado identification card. Please visit the Department of Motor Vehicle’s website for information about identification requirements.
  • Colorado vehicle registration.
    • Please visit the Department of Motor Vehicle's website for information vehicle registration requirements.
  • Voter registration in Colorado.
    • You may register to vote with your county clerk or when you obtain your Colorado driver's license as soon as you move into the State.
  • Permanent employment or acceptance of future permanent employment in Colorado.
  • Ownership of residential real property in Colorado that is your primary residence.
    • Ownership of vacation or income property is not an indication of domicile.
  • Graduation from a Colorado high school.
  • Continued residence in Colorado during the summer or during other periods when not enrolled as a student or during periods between academic sessions.
  • Other factors particular to your situation may be considered also, and should be documented.

The following may be considered as evidence indicating domicile outside Colorado:

  • Failure to pay Colorado state income tax.
    • Filing a nonresident Colorado tax return is persuasive evidence of domicile outside Colorado.
  • Failure to comply with any law imposing a mandatory duty on a permanent resident of Colorado.
    • Examples include failure to register a motor vehicle and failure to change your driver's license to Colorado within the statutory periods, as well as failure to file a Colorado state income tax return.
  • Return to your former state of residence for a substantial period of time during the summer or during other periods when not enrolled as a student or between academic sessions.
  • Maintenance of a home in another state.
  • Prolonged absence from Colorado, except for military or government service or for temporary absences required by an employer.
  • Any other factor particular to your situation that indicates non-Colorado domicile.
    • Examples include applying for a loan or receiving college financial aid from another state where domicile in that state is a condition for receiving funds, and voting or registering to vote in another state.

More information regarding domicile can be found on the Colorado Department of Higher Education's website

    Individuals wishing to petition for In-State residency must submit a Petition for In-State Tuition Classification to the Registration and Records Office for consideration. Please follow the directions on the form. All Petitions for In-State Tuition Classification forms are required to be notarized. There are notaries available upon request at the Greeley Aims campus. 

    Aims will begin accepting Petitions for In-State Tuition Classification for Spring 2024 on October 18th, 2023. The deadline for submitting a packet for consideration is January 16th, 2024. The only exception to this deadline is for students who are registered in late-starting courses only for the Spring 2024 term.

    Note that the burden of proof (in proving domicile) rests upon the petitioner who has the responsibility to submit a petition with the required documentation in a timely manner. Only photocopies of requested documents should be submitted with the petition because all information submitted becomes part of the person’s permanent record and cannot be returned to the petitioner. Students are responsible for submitting the petition by the aforementioned deadline. 

    Students will remain classified in their current residency status until they have received notification from the Tuition Classification Officer indicating a residency change has been approved. Students who are petitioning for In-State tuition classification remain responsible for paying their student account based upon their current tuition classification.

    For questions about the tuition classification process, please contact or reach out to us by phone at (970) 339-6404. 

    Colorado tuition classification for the state of Colorado is governed by State Law (Title 23, Article 7, of the Colorado Revised Statutes of 1973, as amended) and by judicial decisions that apply to all public institutions of higher education in Colorado and is subject to change at any time. The tuition classification decision made at one Colorado institution is non-transferable to other Colorado institutions. Aims Community College must apply the rules set forth in the tuition classification statutes and is not free to make exceptions to the rules except as specifically permitted by State Law.


    Colorado Senate Bill 13-033 (ASSET) was signed into law on April 29, 2013 by Governor John Hickenlooper. This bill allows U.S. citizens, permanent resident aliens, and students without lawful immigration status to qualify for In-State tuition rates, if they meet certain conditions.

    To qualify for the In-State tuition rate under Advancing Student for a Stronger Tomorrow (ASSET), students must meet the following criteria:

    • They must be enrolled for at least three years at a public or private Colorado high school immediately before graduating or earning a GED in Colorado.
    • Be admitted into a Colorado college or university within 12 months after graduating from a Colorado high school or earning a GED in Colorado.
    • Students without lawful immigration status (examples: no status, Deferred Action) must submit an affidavit saying they have applied for lawful status or they will apply as soon as they are eligible to do so. We do not share this information with the Department of Homeland Security or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
    • Students who graduated from a Colorado high school or completed their GED prior to September 1, 2013 and meet all other eligibility criteria but were not admitted to a college or university within 12 months may still qualify for in-state tuition by providing documentation to Aims proving that the student has been physically present in Colorado for the 18 months prior to enrolling. 

    Students must provide the following documentation to the Registration and Records Office if they would like to qualify for In-State tuition using ASSET:

    • An official high school transcript showing three years of attendance at a Colorado high school and the date of graduation – OR
    • An official high school transcript showing three years of attendance at a Colorado high school and an official copy of the GED diploma earned immediately after leaving high school – AND
    • Learn more at the College Opportunity Fund website.

    If you have further questions, please contact

    The state of Colorado dictates that you must be a qualified person to be eligible to establish a Colorado domicile and begin the one year domicile period necessary to qualify for in-state tuition.

    A qualified person is defined as:

    • An adult who is at least 23 years old, or
    • Married (you must be married for one year if you are younger than 23), or
    • An emancipated minor, or
    • A second-year graduate student