In-State Tuition Rate Under ASSET
Colorado Senate Bill 13-033 (ASSET) was signed into law on April 29, 2013 by Governor John Hickenlooper. This bill allows U.S. citizens, permanent resident aliens, and students without lawful immigration status to qualify for In-State tuition rates, if they meet certain conditions. House Bill 22-1155 was passed on April 21, 2022 repeals elements of Colorado State Bill 13-033 stating that the requirement that an institution of higher education (institution) must classify a student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, as an in-state student for tuition purposes if the student has attended a Colorado high school for 3 years and been admitted to college within 12 months of graduating or completing an equivalency examination.
Therefore, to qualify for ASSET or for the High School Graduation Exception to In-State residency requirements, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Either attended a public or private high school for one year immediately preceding the date the student graduated from a Colorado high school or was physically present in Colorado for at least one year immediately preceding the date the student successfully completed a high school equivalency examination in Colorado; and
- Has been physically present in Colorado for at least 12 consecutive months prior to enrolling in an institution.
Because the act repeals the requirement to be admitted to college within 12 months of graduation, the act also repeals the exception to that requirement for a student who does not have lawful immigration status and graduated or successfully completed the equivalency examination prior to September 1, 2013.
If you believe you may qualify for f they would like to qualify for ASSET or for the High School Graduation Exception to In-State residency requirements, please contact email@example.com. You will be required to provide:
- An official copy of your Colorado-based high school transcript showing the date of graduation – OR
- An official copy of your Colorado-based GED – AND
- A copy of the ASSET & High School Graduation In-State Exception Request Form located at the following link: https://www.aims.edu/resource-library/asset-high-school-graduation-state-exception-request-form
- You may also be asked to complete a COF Affidavit as well
If you have further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org