Main Content Area

Incomplete FAQ

This page provides answers to common questions students might have about incomplete grades at Aims. Click on the links in the sidebar to view the questions and answers for other Registration & Records-related topics.

I have been in the hospital and won’t be able to finish my class on time, but it is already past the withdrawal deadline. What do I do now?

You should contact your instructor to see if an Incomplete would be an option. A temporary grade of “incomplete” may be assigned if a student is progressing satisfactorily and due to extenuating circumstances, cannot complete the work of a course within the term. The desire to do additional coursework to raise a grade is not considered an extenuating circumstance. If an incomplete grade is warranted, the instructor and student must complete an Incomplete Agreement, and the completed agreement will be kept on file in the academic division office.


How long do I have to complete an Incomplete?

The timeframe to complete the course is agreed upon between the instructor and student and a signed contract is put in place. Once the time has come, the instructor must update the grade for the student, whether they completed the work or not, by the specific time frame. If the instructor does not submit that change after a maximum of one year, the student’s grade will be automatically converted to “failing” for the course. There are no opportunities for extending an incomplete grade beyond one year.


I have an Incomplete. Should I register for the class again?

Do not register for the class again. If you register for the class again, you will have to pay for it twice.


I was assigned an Incomplete and I will not be able to finish it. Can I withdraw from it?

Unfortunately, you will not be able to withdraw from this class. You cannot withdraw from a class after the withdrawal deadline. You will receive the grade that you earned in the course or an "F" grade if the instructor does not submit a grade before one year has passed.

If you experienced an extenuating circumstance that kept you from completing the course and/or adhering to the registration deadlines and would like to petition for the removal of the course, please log into Workday and complete a 'Create Request' for 'STUDENT REGISTRATION: Administrative Registration Change Petition' to see if the course can be either withdrawn or dropped from your record. If you have questions, please reach out to


I just finished an Incomplete. How long will it be before my grade is changed?

Once you finish an Incomplete, your instructor will have to submit a Grade Change Request form for the Records office to process. This can take up to 48 hours to process during busy times. Once the new grade has been entered, the instructor and student will receive an email.