Main Content Area

Transferring From Aims FAQ

This page provides answers to common questions students might have about transferring from Aims. Click on the links in the sidebar to view the questions and answers for other Registration & Records-related topics.

Will my classes transfer to another college or university?

This depends on what courses you take at Aims and what program of study you will be working on at the transfer college. It is important that you work closely with your advisor and check with the receiving institution to determine if certain courses will transfer. Pathway Advisors have access to transfer guides to help determine if a course is likely to transfer. Please note that a grade of “C” or better must be achieved in courses to be considered for transfer credit.


What are the Guaranteed Transfer courses?

For information on State Guaranteed Transfer courses, please visit the Colorado Department of Higher Education.

State-Guaranteed Transfer Pathways


Can I take other classes that will transfer besides the Guaranteed Transfer Pathways (GTP)courses?

Absolutely. You will need to work closely with your Aims Academic Advisor as well as check with the specific four-year institution about the acceptance of transfer credits before you enroll. Some majors require specific general education courses to be completed as part of your two-year degree to finish a four-year degree in a timely manner. Please see the four-year transfer guides. Access the Approved Elective courses for the Associate of Arts and the Associate of Science degrees.


When should I see an advisor about transferring to a four-year college or university?

If you are considering transferring to a four-year college or university, please talk with an advisor as soon as possible.


When should I apply to the four-year school?

Students will want to begin looking at the specific four-year college or university admissions requirements and deadline dates approximately six to 12 months in advance of the intended enrollment semester. Be sure to determine admissions and application requirements at your intended transfer institution and for your intended degree program of study. Typically, you will need to submit an application for admission, transcripts from all schools attended, an application fee, an essay or personal statement and letters of recommendation.


What are gtPathways and how do I know if the courses I have taken are guaranteed to transfer to the four-year school?*

In 2003, the Colorado Department of Education approved a list of general education courses that would be guaranteed to transfer (gtPathways) to any of the four-year public colleges and universities in Colorado. Up to 35-37 credits of the approved general education courses taken at a Colorado public college or university are guaranteed to transfer among all two and four-year institutions. These courses are marked with the GT identifier in the Aims catalog. Learn more information about State Guaranteed Transfer courses and gtPathways here

*Always check with the specific four-year institution about the acceptance of transfer credits before you enroll. Some majors require specific general education courses to be completed as part of your two-year degree to finish a four-year degree on time. Please see the Colorado four-year transfer guides.


How can I be prepared to challenge status if a course is not accepted?

It is helpful to keep copies of academic records such as course syllabi, course descriptions and special projects so you may use them to document possible competencies for any denied transfer course.


What if I don’t have the GPA needed to be admitted to the college where I want to transfer?

If you don’t meet the suggested minimum GPA for the college you are interested in transferring to, there are two options to consider:

  1. When you fill out your application you have the opportunity to write a personal statement. For some applications, it is required and for others it is optional. In this statement, you have a chance to explain your GPA. This is the place to describe any unique challenges or obstacles you might have faced that affected your grades. For example, if you had one semester where you had a health or family problem, you could explain how this affected your GPA. The admissions committee will carefully weigh all of the materials you send and decide if you can be admitted.
  2. Some schools in Colorado offer the Transfer Admissions Guarantee to Colorado community college students who have been conferred with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree (if it is the last school attended) and at least a 2.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale). Some majors are competitive and will have additional admission requirements, so you should contact the school you wish to transfer to or your academic advisor for more information.

You can work with your academic advisor to complete your transfer application. Remember, you can always talk to your advisor or career counselor to talk about several major and career paths that would be a good fit for you.


What are the tuition and cost differences at the four-year schools?

Tuition and costs are likely to be higher than what you are used to paying at Aims. You will want to check with the intended school(s) you are looking at transferring. Make sure to fill out your FAFSA by the March 1 priority deadline and apply for scholarships.


When can I apply for financial aid or will my financial aid transfer to the four-year school?

The priority deadline for FAFSA is March 1 for the upcoming fall, spring and summer terms. You will want to make sure you apply for financial aid or have your financial aid information sent to the school you will be transferring to make sure it gets processed in time for you to register for classes. If you are looking to transfer in the spring term, be sure to check with the four-year school’s financial aid office to see how far in advance it will need your FAFSA information.


What is COF and how do I apply?

The College Opportunity Trust Fund (COF) is a funding program created by the State of Colorado that provides a portion of your total in-state tuition stipend to eligible undergraduate students at any public or participating private college or university in Colorado. The stipend pays a portion of your total in-state tuition directly to the institution, however, students must apply, be admitted and enroll at a participating institution. Both new and continuing students are eligible for the stipend for eligible undergraduate classes. The stipend is paid on a per credit hour basis and the amount will be set annually by the General Assembly. 

Apply for COF funds