Aims Community College held an official groundbreaking ceremony on Tuesday, March 22, for an expansion of the Aims Windsor Campus. The anticipated open date for the new facilities is Spring 2024.
Aims Community College Begins Expansion of Windsor Campus
Aims capital funds are financing this $18 million construction project. The new construction will add an academic building and add a simulated city to the Public Safety Institute (PSI) training yard.
The three-story, 38,000 sq. ft. building, will add:
- Additional classrooms to allow for growth and the ability to add more general education courses
- Areas for academic simulators for Criminal Justice, Fire Science and Aviation programs
- Welcome desk to greet students, visitors and prospective students
- Learning Commons (library, computer lab, tutoring, study areas)
- Space for student activities, advising, enrollment, counseling
- Faculty and staff offices
- A kitchen, bistro, outdoor patio, play areas and other places for students to gather
- Inclusive features including a prayer room, private lactation room, and gender-inclusive restrooms
Training Yard - Simulated City Expansion
Five buildings will be added to simulate real-world situations for public safety training:
- Two buildings that are two-story simulated houses with basements, kitchens, living rooms, hallways with furniture, fixtures, doors and windows
- A commercial building to simulate everything from a bank robbery to a convenience store fire
- A simulated four-way street intersection that includes traffic signs, stoplights and fire hydrant
- One search and rescue building to simulate navigating through hallways, attics and narrow shafts
- Building for equipment storage
“This project is an exciting step forward in the growth of our Windsor campus,” said Dr. Leah L. Bornstein, Aims Community College CEO and president. “The physical expansion of this campus means expanded educational opportunities for students. And that leads to more job opportunities and a larger trained workforce. Which then leads to broader services for our entire community.”
The Aims Windsor Campus opened in 2010 and has outgrown its current space. The Windsor Campus is currently home to the Automotive & Technology Center and the PSI. Aviation classes presently offered on the Greeley Campus will move to Windsor. The project will add 70 new parking spaces to accommodate more students.
- Press Release
- General Public