Program Entrance Requirements
Aims Surgical Technology Associate Degree Prerequisites and Entrance Requirements
If you'd like to earn a surgical technology associate degree, there are certain steps to follow after you've applied to be a student at Aims.
Below you will find information about requirements for entry into the Aims surgical tech program and how to get on the waitlist.
Required Prerequisites and Documentation for the Surgical Technology Degree Program Waitlist
Step One: Complete all surgical technology associate degree prerequisite courses (year one of the degree program). If you took your prerequisite classes at a different academic institution, you will need to have your OFFICIAL transcripts sent to Aims for formal evaluation PRIOR to being placed on the waitlist.
- In order to complete a course challenge, you must be enrolled in coursework at Aims during the semester you pass the exam for it to be applied to your record. If you are not enrolled during the semester in which you course challenge, please keep your paperwork stating that you passed your challenge course and submit it with your required paperwork to get onto the Surg Tech waitlist. Once invited into the program, you will submit your challenge course paperwork to records to have your challenge course applied to your record.
Step Two: Follow these steps to enter the Aims surgical tech degree program:
- Read the Surgical Technology Orientation PowerPoint.
- After reviewing the Orientation, sign this Surgical Technology Orientation Certificate of Completion form.
- Read and sign this Surgical Technology Waitlist and Acceptance Procedures checklist.
Step Three: To be placed on the waitlist, email your unofficial transcripts and the above documentation to email@example.com.
Step Four: Meet with Erin Miyoshi. At the time of the meeting, please have two forms of government-issued ID ready for her to review.
Step Five: Provide proof of the following requirements for entry into the surgical tech program:
- Current BLS for Healthcare Providers CPR card
- Proof of all necessary vaccinations, including COVID-19
- Drug screening
- Criminal background check with no disqualifying offenses
- Background check acknowledgment
After completing the steps above, your year two experience will involve coursework and an internship specific to surgical technology, ending with exam prep to become a certified surgical technologist.
Click the section below that best describes you as a student to get information about next steps or answers to your questions.
If you're not yet registered as a student, your first step is to apply to Aims Community College.
After that, you can ask to schedule an appointment with an Aims allied health advisor familiar with the surgical tech and other healthcare degree program requirements and prerequisites. You can schedule this appointment by calling (970) 339-6443.
Whether you're interested in studying surgical tech or another healthcare career, if you're an Aims student, you'll want to talk to academic advisors familiar with the specific program paths for these degree and certificate programs. You can call the allied health advisors' office at (970) 339-6443.
Email surgical technology program coordinator Erin Miyoshi with any questions about the surgical technology degree program.
Degree at a Glance
Degree TypeAssociate of Applied Science
*Check Cashier's Office for current tuition rates