Begin your journey as a pilot with this aviation associate degree that builds your skills and confidence in concrete steps. Each semester you can earn an aviation certificate and take the FAA certification exam for piloting larger and more complicated aircraft.
The process starts with private pilot flight training that allows you to fly with friends and family. The next semester builds your instrument rating, which teaches you to fly in more difficult weather conditions. The last two semesters cover commercial flight of small aircraft with the option for you to learn multi-engine aircraft. All the while, core and elective classes build your communication and professional skills that are important to any career.
How to get started
Step 1 – Apply
- Apply to Aims Community College
- Select Pre Aviation AAS as your intended major.
- Apply for Financial Aid if applicable.
Step 2 – Are you a VA or Transfer Student
- If you are a VA Student submit your DD214 and Certificate of Eligibility to the Financial Aid Office
- If you are a transfer student please have your previous institution send an official transcript to Aims. Learn more on the Transfer Information webpage.
- If you are not a VA Student or a Transfer Student, go to step 3.
Step 3 – Aviation Medical Certificate
- If you want to apply for the Air Traffic Control (ATC), Professional Pilot, or General Aviation Pilot degree, it is a requirement that you obtain a valid First- or Second-class FAA Medical Certificate before applying.
- You must schedule an exam with an FAA-approved Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) and pay for this exam. You can find a Colorado Aviation Medical Examiners list here or on the FAA's website.
Step 4 – ACCUPLACER
- Contact the Testing Center to set an appointment to take the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER test. You will only need to complete the writing and math portions of the test.
Step 5 – Complete the Aviation Application
- Complete the Aims Aviation Application
- Applications must be completed no later than:
- Fall Term: First Monday of April
- Spring Term: First Monday of November
- Summer Term: Aims Aviation does not accept new students for Summer Term
Step 6 – Advising Appointment
- Schedule an advising appointment and make sure to bring your application.
- Ottley Wright | Academic Advisor
- (970) 378-3635