Aims2UNC Transition Program
Aims2UNC is a joint initiative between Aims Community College and the University of Northern Colorado. This program streamlines the path for students to transition directly to UNC to pursue a bachelor's degree after earning an associate degree from Aims.
The Aims2UNC transition program is for:
- Prospective Aims students - If you're interested in a more affordable and streamlined path to earning a bachelor’s degree, you are encouraged to apply to the program once you enroll at Aims.
- Current Aims students - For students who decide later that they would like a supportive transitional program, Aims2UNC applications will be accepted up until your last semester before earning your associate degree
If this sounds like you, apply to Aims2UNC now to take advantage of the enhanced benefits and support on your path to a four-year degree.
You can start by applying to Aims if you are not yet enrolled!
Already a student at Aims Community College and ready to apply to the Aims2UNC program? Get started by reading the requirements and following the application steps below.
Applying to Aims2UNC is a simple process and is an option if you meet the following requirements:
- Are at least 18 years old
- Earned your high school degree (or equivalent)
- Are taking at least one class at Aims Community College
- Declared in an AA/AS or applicable AAS degree
As a truly transitional program, Aims2UNC offers enhanced benefits to students that they would not otherwise receive from pursuing a traditional (single point-of-contact) transfer to a 4-year university.
Once accepted to the Aims2UNC program, you can take full advantage of many offerings at both campuses. This means you’ll have access to the services and facilities at UNC while attending classes at Aims to earn your associate degree. You’ll feel a sense of belonging while becoming acclimated to life as a student at UNC long before taking classes there.
Available options include:
- Living in on-campus housing
- Attending Events as a UNC Student (including free admission to UNC athletic events, etc.)
- Using the UNC Recreation Center
- Joining clubs and organizations
- Utilizing the UNC libraries and health center
- And more!
There are many other advantages students benefit from once accepted into the Aims2UNC programs such as:
- Specialized advising from staff who understand the degree requirements at both Aims and UNC. This advising is designed to help you reach your academic and career goals.
- Support and guidance to help you meet UNC admission requirements.
- Additional scholarship opportunities only available to Aims2UNC participants.
- No UNC application fee.
- Streamlined transfer of courses and information between Aims and UNC.
- Cost savings - With Aims tuition being the lowest in the state, students are able to save a significant amount of money for their first two years of college.
To apply to the Aims2UNC program, follow the instructions below:
Before applying to Aims2UNC, you must apply and be accepted to Aims and enroll in at least one class.
Once you are ready to enroll in classes at Aims, you will meet with your assigned Pathway Advisor who will assist you in determining the best path to achieve your personal academic and career goals. This is the perfect time to find out if Aims2UNC is right for you.
The Aims2UNC application is separate from the Aims application. You may apply to Aims2UNC as soon as you have applied to Aims and have enrolled in at least one class.
- Start the Aims2UNC application (this is done through the UNC website and you will be asked to first register for an account)
- Be sure to select "nondegree seeking > Aims2UNC" to complete the free application
- Submit the application once completed
- Once the Aims2UNC application has been processed, eligible students will receive a participation agreement to sign and submit.
- Be on the look out for a Welcome email indicating next steps.
- Your Aims2UNC Peer Mentor will then reach out to schedule your initial appointment.
The following video illustrates Step 3 of the process above:
Together, Aims and UNC staff and faculty created the Aims2UNC curriculum maps to outline the recommended Aims coursework that will provide a seamless transitional path to earning a bachelor's degree from UNC. Each student will utilize the curriculum map that aligns with their chosen educational path while working closely with an Aims2UNC advisor to achieve their unique education and career goals.
The suggested timeline for earning a 120-credit bachelor's degree from UNC is as follows:
- Earn 60 credits from Aims following one of the Aims2UNC curriculum maps
- Graduate from Aims with an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science or applicable Associate of Applied Science and successfully transition to UNC
- Complete the remaining 60 credits at UNC
- Graduate from UNC
Aims2UNC participants may be eligible for a renewable scholarship beginning the second semester of the program. Up to $500 will be awarded to any Aims2UNC student who meets the outlined requirements.
To be eligible for the Aims2UNC scholarship, a student must:
- Be a degree-seeking student at Aims.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards as outlined by the Aims Financial Aid department.
- Have completed 12 credits at Aims.
- Earn a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Complete two Aims2UNC sponsored/ approved engagement opportunities.
- Complete two advising appointments with an Aims2UNC Advisor.
- Students who meet the scholarship requirements and are currently registered for classes are eligible for up to $500 per semester.
- To continue to be eligible, students must continue to make progress towards the declared AA, AS, or applicable AAS degree that makes the student eligible for the Aims2UNC program.
- The scholarship caps at 70 credits at Aims and the scholarship is only applicable while a student is seeking a degree at Aims.
Scholarship amounts are based on enrollment as follows:
- $500/semester - enrolled in 12 credits or more
- $375/semester - enrolled in 9 -11 credits
- $250/semester - enrolled in 6 - 8 credits
If you are interested in attending UNC to earn your bachelor's degree upon graduating from Aims, you are encouraged to apply to the program as soon as you are accepted to Aims and taking classes, but you can also apply up until your last semester at Aims.
If a student graduates from Aims with an associate degree with at least a 2.0 GPA, and meets all other UNC requirements, then they will be admitted to UNC.
You will receive financial aid from the institution where you are currently a degree seeking student (you can only receive aid from one institution at a time). Most commonly that will mean that you receive financial aid for your first sixty credits from Aims, and you will receive financial aid from UNC once you have transitioned.
There are several reasons students choose the Aims2UNC transition program instead of going to UNC for all four years including:
- It provides a significant cost savings to complete the first two years of school at Aims.
- It allows students who don't yet have the necessary grades or test scores to get into UNC to get on a path to a four-year bachelor's degree.
- Aims offers small class sizes and various student services that provide students with the support and resources they need to be successful.
- Students get to be part of a diverse community that fosters belonging and growth through events, clubs and activities.
The Aims2UNC program is an excellent way to start your path to a four-year degree!